There are many objections to including fats in our diet but all experts that consuming olive oil and especially extra virgin has offers many health benefits:
- Olive oil is rich in mono saturated fatty acids which are quite resistant to high heat, making it a healthy choice for cooking.
- Extra virgin olive oil includes antioxidants which help fight inflammation and prevent cholesterol in the blood.
- There are many studies showing that people who consume olive oil reduce the risk of suffering a stroke, which is the second most frequent cause of death in developed countries.
- It has numerous benefits for heart health. It lowers blood pressure, protects LDL cholesterol from oxidation, improves the function of the lining of the blood vessels, and may help prevent unwanted blood clotting.
- Numerous studies have linked olive oil with healthy body weight.
- There is also evidence that olive oil, combined with Mediterranean diet, reduce the risk for diabetes type 2.
- Extra virgin olive oil has anti-bacterial properties. It has been shown to be particularly effective against Helicobacter Pylori, a type of bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers and cancer.